Monday, August 20, 2012

Commentary, Part 1: The Beginning

This commentary covers the following posts:
Messenger's Report (Now I Shall Know You Again)
The Man Who Brings Tidings of Sorrow
Reach is Out
List of the Deceased
M...stay safe....

These were the first five posts I made as the Messenger, and they're probably the most out-of-character.  This is largely because Messi's character hadn't much developed yet.

I started with a report on NISKYA, since that was my old blog, and it's the post that's probably the most out of character.  He was still in his conceptual phase at that point and hadn't been fleshed out much.  In that first post, his snarking was a bit more pointed, and for some reason, he signed off with "Don't Kill The Messenger" instead of "Don't Shoot The Messenger."

The next two post (and the first two on my blog) were pretty much just a basic introduction and a few reports of the people who had recently died.  The only thing they really established was that the Messenger was working with other proxies, which led to the structured organization later on.  The List of the Deceased was created mostly because I realized that there were a lot of people who weren't going to use the Messenger to end their blog, as well as a lot who had already died.  I wanted to keep a comprehensive list.  Unfortunately, it never got particularly fleshed out.  But I'm still working on it.  Or at least have it on my to-do list.

Oops, wait, I lied about the first post being most OOC.  Though maybe the post about M was because he was still new to the job and more compassionate than apathetic.  After seeing people die over and over again, he distanced himself from the runners.  This post was probably decent with his early characterization, but it's almost embarrassing now.  However, there was one comment made on this post that arguably set the tone for the entire blog.  A blogger called Marnax (whose blog I personally found to be terrible) threatened to kill my character, just because he was a proxy.  The Messenger responded with a Starfox meme, but responded in more depth in the next post (which I'll get into in the next bit of commentary).

Basically, at this point, I was still stumbling my way through things.  I had yet to find a direction to take the blog and was still learning the best way to do things.  I was still really green with this blog at this point in time, but shortly after, I started catching my stride.

No comments:

Post a Comment